Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

TECHNOLOGY

The fact is we are all here because of the beautiful web of technology. Technology has literally shaped life as we know it. In fact, it has been way of life for me since birth. From early toys, machines, and instruments to the dot-com boom and the iPhone, it's almost impossible to grasp the full extent to which technology has changed my life. 

As Howard Thurman says, "what the world needs is more people who have come alive." Technology does just that. For one, the technological advances of musical instruments and recording has allowed me to truly feel alive by providing vast outlets for self-expression. I literally have the potential to create a record in my bedroom that would have cost thousands of dollars 20 years ago with a $50 keyboard and a program I downloaded for free. I can copy, paste, splice, tune, and warp any performance to be perfectly in time on a laptop. Furthermore, this same technology allows me to work anywhere, from a big screen TV in a living room to a window seat on an airplane or even a boat in the middle of the sea (which could be solar-powered if needed)!

Then there is the internet which is an unlimited source of knowledge. I have become a self-sufficient jack of all trades simply in a matter of minutes by doing a Google search. I have installed car stereo systems, replaced my air filter and even fixed my flooded engine from instructional videos on YouTube. I have downloaded free blueprints and built tree houses and gardens for my family. I have taken computer courses at Harvard and MIT for free. I have stayed connected with friends and class mates through Facebook. I have read multiple sides of political discussions and formed my own opinions. I have even woke up at 4 a.m. to watch live video lectures from gurus on the opposite side of the world. The internet, in the hands of a pure heart, is perhaps the greatest tool for self-mastery and certainly one of the most efficient means to changing the world.

This upcoming Monday, August 25th, 2014, I am embarking on a journey of self-mastery by entering the graduate program at Loyola University of New Orleans in order to become a Master of Music Therapy. The excitement I feel is surreal. I am following my passion and committing myself to the service of others. And all the while, the universe and technology is abundantly providing for me. I can't help but to inhale each moment with gratitude for being alive. Now it is the time to give back with spirit, imagination, and hard work. To be creative and discover ideas that foster growth. I owe to all who have helped me in life and we owe it each other. To all the inventors who have put their love and sweat into the technological advances that unite us and allow humanity to flourish. In this day and age, if we want to survive as a species it is vital that we as individuals reach our highest potential. We have to remain open to learning everyday. We have to embrace change and co-evolve with technology.

1 comment:

  1. Josh, as you may know, I am not too good with social networks and don't visit gmail very often. I just now read this and loved every minute of it. I hope your first week and a half have been great.

    I just finished a study of the colonial charters for all 14 states that completed the original US Constitution by ratifying the Bill of Rights on December 15, 1791. That was the day Virginia, the 11th of the required 75% ratifications occurred. Now I will figure out what to do with what I learned. Of course the document that set all that in motion was signed on September 17, 1787, which we will soon celebrate as Constitution Day. Notice what Loyola does that week.

    Your friend,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete